Financial aid during corona
Corona financial aid
Students who are in financial need through no fault of their own as a result of the Corona crisis can apply to the Studierendenwerk Thüringen for Corona financial aid - an interest-free social loan of up to €800. The Corona financial aid is provided 50% as a loan from the universities and the remaining 50% as a grant from the Free State of Thuringia.
For the application are required (please submit as scan):
- completed application for Corona financial assistance, including a description of the pandemic-related financial hardship and proof by means of appropriate documents,
- copy of ID card, passport, or residence permit,
- current certificate of study,
- chronologically arranged documentation of the financial hardship according to date by presenting the bank statements of all accounts (including blocked accounts and credit accounts) of the last 60 days,
Your own financial resources must not exceed the amount of Corona financial aid requested, i.e., no more than 800 euros may be available across all accounts (including blocked and credit accounts). Irregular, untraceable account transactions, missing documentation, or a lack of reference to the Corona pandemic will preclude Corona financial assistance.
- direct debit authorization - please sign personally (no computerized signature).
Naming an address guarantor who does not share a common address with the person taking out the loan and provides a residential address in Germany (please submit the name, address, telephone number, e-mail address and a copy of the address guarantor's ID or residence permit.)
Interim financial aid
Students who are experiencing particularly severe financial hardship due to Corona and as a result of the pandemic can apply for financial aid of up to €500 per month provided by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). The application process is entirely online: www.überbrückungshilfe-studierende.de. Applications from students in Thuringia are processed by the Studierendenwerk Thüringen.
For the time being, the interim aid can be applied for until September 2021.
Tip: Helpful FAQs for students can be found on this page.