If you are looking for a part-time job, we have put together some useful tips for you about working during your studies. You can also find information about positions available on the wall in our information centers. We are regularly seeking students for part-time jobs in our Mensas and cafeterias.

Student loans (BAföG)

The Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG) is the state-provided student support service for students who receive little to no financial support from their parents. International students can only receive BAföG under certain circumstances. Information is available from your BAföG office (BAföG-Amt).


Here is some information about various bursaries available. Information about bursaries for international students can be obtained from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).


If you do not receive any kind of bursary, working is not possible for you and you do not receive financial assistance for your studies, you still have the option to take out a loan. An educational or KfW loan is in certain circumstances possible for international students to receive. Information regarding these circumstances is available from the Bundesverwaltungsamt (BVA) for the educational loan and from the student finance offices in Erfurt, Jena and Ilmenau for the KfW loan.

Loan in case of hardship

If you are in a financial emergency that wasn't your fault and which threatens the future of your studies, the staff at our general social counseling service (ASB) can help you to apply for a loan in case of hardship.


Deutsches Studentenwerk: Ausländische...

„Für die sozial-akademische Integration der... More

Umbaumaßnahmen in der Mensa Ernst-Abbe-Platz...

Liebe Gäste, in unserer Mensa Ernst-Abbe-Platz... More

Hints for the control of the thoska as a ticket...

From 1 February, an amendment to the agreement between... More

Price adjustments

The Studierendenwerk endeavours to provide all... More

Deutsches Studentenwerk:...

Die BAföG-Fördersätze für... More