Statutory accident insurance

During studies of further and higher education at universities, students are covered by statutory accident insurance, when matriculated at a recognised institute of higher education. This also applies to diploma and doctorate students while completing a diploma or preparing for a doctorate.

Insurance cover begins on the day of matriculation and ends upon termination of studies, whether through exams, acquisition of a doctorate or exmatriculation, at the end of the semester at the latest.

What is insured?

Assessment of insurance cover depends on whether the activity leading to the accident can be attributed to the responsible organizational body of the institute of study. There must be a direct link, including both a place and a time, between further or higher studies at the institute of study and the activities of the student.

Insurance cover is also provided on the journey to and from the institute of study. Private deviations from this for personal reasons, such as a shopping trip, are not covered. Exact information pertaining to this is given by the insurance provider.


  • attendance of lectures or seminars
  • visiting university libraries
  • participation in revision courses or excursions, whether in Germany or abroad, when these are planned and carried out by the institute of study
  • participation in sport activities connected to the institute of study
  • participation in student governing bodies

Examples of what is not covered: 

  • study activities outside of the institute of study such as study groups or self-study at home
  • privately organised study trips
  • revision courses carried out by private providers
  • personal interruptions of the journey to, or on the way back home from, the institute of study
  • deviations for private reasons from the journey
  • private activities on institute premises, for example visiting the Mensa

The accident insurance provider will assess every case as to whether cover can be provided. Therefore a different result is also possible.

Accident insurance for trips abroad

The student must contact the insurance provider before a trip abroad to find out whether or not cover will be provided for this. In some cases it may be necessary to take out a private insurance policy.

information flyer GUV-SI 8060

What should be done after an accident?

Whether an accident has taken place in Germany or abroad, the accident claims office of the respective institute of study must be informed as soon as possible (details of contact persons enclosed). The accident will then be reported to the Thuringian accident insurance provider (Thüringer Unfallkasse).

Medical doctors are to be informed that the accident is related to the attendance of the institute of study.

Insurance cover for internships during study or for practically-integrated dual studies

For an internship during studies, there is no direct correlation between the institute of higher or further education and the way in which the internship is carried out. Students integrate themselves into the working life of the respective company and are covered by the company insurance policy. It is here negligible whether the internship has taken place through the student's own decision or as a requirement for studies. The company insurance provider of the place of internship is responsible for this. The company will carry the cost of this insurance cover.

Practically-integrated dual studies

During vocational periods of a practically-integrated dual study course, students are required to adhere to employee work activities- they are integrated into the company and are bound by instruction. Students also receive monthly payments. Under these requirements, students in vocational periods of studies are to be considered as employees of the company which provides the internship. As such, students are covered by insurance from the company provider during vocational periods.

However, during study at the institute, students will be covered by the accident insurance provider.

Please note:

It may be possible that, in individual cases, a different result is found following assessment of the responsibility for vocational periods of study. In cases of doubt, the matter must be settled in advance between the institute of study and the accident insurance provider. Here it will be assessed whether the vocational period of study is within the field of responsibility of the institute of study.

See also: Leisure-time accident insurance for students

Accident claims office
Institute of study
Point of contact
Berufsakademie Eisenach Heike Etzholz
Room 204.1
Tel. 03691–629470
Fachhochschule Erfurt

Altonaer Str. 25 Building 7 / Ground floor
Tel. 0361–6700111
Tue, Thu 9.00 - 12.00 a.m. and 01.00 - 03.00 p.m.

Universität Erfurt Doreen Kranhold
Managment building, Room 0136
Tel. 0361–7375334
Berufsakademie Gera INFOtake Jena
Technische Universität Ilmenau ASC Ilmenau
Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena INFOtake Jena
Friedich-Schiller-Universität Jena INFOtake Jena
Hochschule Nordhausen Karl Böttcher
Campus Building 14 / 14.0003
Tel. 03631–420242
Hochschule Schmalkalden Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Heike Dörfel-Fehlau
Ingenieurbüro für Arbeitssicherheit Dörfel und Partner
Rötweg 6
98574 Schmalkalden
Tel. 03683–405618
Fax 03683–405622
Mobil 01704437435
Bauhaus-Universität Weimar INFOtake Weimar
Hochschule für Musik Weimar INFOtake Weimar

3.000 Masken für Studierende an der TU...

Für Studierende der Technischen Universität... More

Gesundheitsämter in Thüringen brauchen...

An die Studierenden der Thüringer Hochschulen ... More

Übergabe eines Zuwendungsbescheides...

Das Thüringer Ministerium für Wirtschaft,... More

Bescheidübergabe zur Sanierung der...

Am 15. Januar übergibt der Thüringer Minister... More

Deutsches Studentenwerk: Dringender Rat an...

Das Deutsche Studentenwerk (DSW) rät... More