Limited liability insurance

The liability insurance is valid for registered students including diploma students and doctoral students at the universities located within the area of responsibility of the Studierendenwerk Thüringen. The insurance covers the legal liability of these persons for damages resulting from participation in learning and research activities of the universities unless they are employed by the universities.

Attention, very important note!
As decided by the Administrative Board of Studierendenwerk Thüringen and in agreement with the Thuringian universities, the limited liability insurance of Studierendenwerk Thüringen for students of eight Thuringian universities (Friedrich Schiller University Jena, University of Erfurt, Ilmenau University of Technology, Bauhaus University Weimar, Franz Liszt University of Music Weimar, Erfurt University of Applied Sciences, Schmalkalden University of Applied Sciences and Duale Hochschule Gera-Eisenach) ended at 12 noon on 30 June 2019.
For students of the eight universities for which the insurance ended, the following applies: Damages resulting from participation in teaching and research before 30 June 2019 at 12 noon and reported to the information centres of the Studierendenwerk Thüringen by 05 July 2019 can still be settled using the limited liability insurance. Damages that occurred later would no longer be settled by the liability insurance of the Studierendenwerk Thüringen. For damages that occurred before the end of 30 June 2019 //12 noon, but were not reported by 05 July 2019, the insurance company may, if necessary, refuse to settle the damages.
This does not apply to students of the Ernst Abbe UAS Jena and Nordhausen UAS. The insurance continues for them.

Personal injury, property damage and pecuniary loss are insured. Also insured are:
- participation in unpaid internships and excursions related to the learning and research activities of the universities,
- unpaid internships and excursions students complete in companies and institutions outside the universities and which are required by the respective study regulations and relate to the learning and research activities at the universities.
Third-party claims and claims of the internship companies and institutions are insured unless insurance coverage is provided by other means.
There is no insurance coverage on movable property made available to the student for use by the university.

As a rule, the liability insurance is valid in all territories that belong to the scope of the Treaty on the European Union. In some of these areas and in areas that do not belong to it, the insurance coverage is not sufficient, or the insurance is not valid or only applicable in parts. Therefore, you should inform yourself well in advance of your stay abroad and, if necessary, take out private insurance. You can enquire about this with the insurance company via the information centres.

Please document the damage and inform the responsible information centre of the Studierendenwerk immediately. The damage must be reported to the insurance company together with a notice of claim by the information centre. You will receive the damage report form on site, or you can find it here. Please fill out and sign this report and submit it to the information centre together with the accompanying documents (including enrolment certificate, invoice & estimate, photos, etc.). The Studierendenwerk forwards the documents to the insurance company, always carrying out a case-by-case assessment. It decides, in accordance with the agreed insurance terms and conditions, whether and to what extent it will settle the submitted claim. If the insurance company needs clarification or if further documents are required, they will contact you directly.

Please note:
Subsidiary coverage:
Any other private liability insurance, e.g., your own insurance or insurance coverage provided by your family, has priority compared to this insurance. You are obliged to report the claim to this insurer first. Should this insurance only cover part of the damage or refuse to settle the claim completely, please enclose the letter from the insurer settling the claim with the notice of claim.
Obligation duties:
The notification of claim informs you of your obligations, e.g., providing the insurance company with truthful and timely information. You acknowledge these obligations by signing the notice of claim. We advise you explicitly that any violation of the obligations may result in the insurance company refusing to pay compensation and may be punishable by law.

Social Media