Loans for hardship cases
Medium-term and long-term loans from the Studierendenwerk in cases of special hardship
The Studierendenwerk Thüringen can give out interest free loans for a maximum of 12 months out of their own resources and out of the resources of the German Studentenwerk. This possibility is intended for students in need, who without having any debt, have landed in a financial hardship which endangers their ability to continue their studies.
When filing the application of an upcoming hardship loan, the student needs to provide proof of their financial need in addition to the prospect of the long-term financing of their studies as well as the prospect of finishing their studies. Hardship loans are made to be a financial aid in temporary financial emergencies. They cannot be used as a replacement for a scholarship or another form of long-term financial support.
To apply for these loans you need to submit:
- A current certificate of matriculation
- Proof of income and assets (complete bank statements for the last two months up to the day before application)
- A written declaration of one’s personal situation
- A directly enforceable guarantee or banker’s guarantee
- A bank account in the name of the applicant
- A direct debit mandate.