Study Start-Up aid "StudiumThüringenPlus"
The "StudiumThüringenPlus" study start-up aid is a one-time support amounting to €500 for freshmen in financial need before the start of their studies in the first university semester, available from the summer semester 2021 to the winter semester 2023/2024. The "StudiumThüringenPlus" study start-up aid intends to ease the start into studies.
It is granted to freshmen in financial need who are admitted for the first time to a state or state-recognized Thuringian university for degree program in classroom form.
The initial financial aid may only be used for necessary expenses required for the start of a degree program (e.g., semester fee without semester ticket, PC hardware and software, study materials, academic literature, language courses or introductory events prior to the start of the degree program). The financial hardship is to be proven by an application for educational support according to BAföG or, in case of international first-year students who are not entitled to BAföG, by a reliable self-disclosure of income and financial situation. The appropriate provisions of BAföG serve as guidelines when determining need. If the student does not enrol in a degree program with classroom teaching at a state or state-recognized university in Thuringia after receiving funding from this program, or if the student's need cannot be confirmed, the financial aid must be repaid within five months. The use of the study start financial aid is subject to proof. The proof must be provided by the freshmen within three months (in each case by 30 June for summer semester applications or by 31 December for winter semester applications) with a list of the use of the funds and the submission of copies of the original receipts.
Applications must be submitted prior to the start of studies by the deadline of
- 15 March of each year for the upcoming summer semester and
- 15 September of each year for the upcoming winter semester.
Due to the first edition of the study start-up aid "StudiumThüringenPlus", an application for the summer semester 2021 can be submitted by 31 March 2021.
You can find information about "StudiumThüringenPlus" here.
The following documents must be attached to the application, which must be submitted in full to the Studierendenwerk Thüringen (attachments included in the application):
- Completely filled out application for "StudiumThüringenPlus" study start-up aid“,
- Copy of ID card, passport, or residence permit (front and reverse side),
- Copy of the letter of admission from the Thuringian university,
- Reliable self-disclosure (Annex 1) on income and financial situation (only for international students who are not eligible for BAföG),
- Repayment agreement (Annex 2) and SEPA direct debit authorization (Annex 3) to be used when unauthorized use of funds is discovered or when proof of use is missing or inappropriate,
- Where-used lists (Annex 4) by 30 June in case of summer semester applications or by 31 December in case of winter semester applications.